As you know, we are a dog friendly office, and the majority of our staff have a pooch. However, this doesn’t mean we don’t love cats. Team member Clare is proud mum to British shorthair Merlin, and we are desperate to have a cat friendly day in the office so he can visit.
Whilst researching if this would be feasible, the Buddies team came across some pretty weird and wonderful cat facts. We wanted to share some of our favourites.
- Camel Cat – They can survive without water. Cats have evolved to get sufficient water from prey and like camels, have various tricks for maximum water absorption.
- Whiskers – They use their whiskers like radar. Thanks to whiskers, a cat can navigate around objects in the dark and also judge distances.
- Smelly Cat – Cats have smelly feet. Okay, so they don’t have smelly feet like humans can have, but cats do have scent glands in the pads on their paws.
- Nosey – Just like dogs, each cat’s nose is completely unique. Similarly to the fingerprint of a human, no two cats will share the same nose print.
- Brainy-Cat – Cat brains and human brains are similar. Humans and cats share the same identical regions of the brain responsible for emotion. It may shock you to hear that a cat’s brain is in fact more similar to a human’s than a dog’s.
- Cat Nap – A cat spends around two thirds of its day asleep. Therefore a 6-year-old cat will only have been awake for two years of its life!
- CleoCatra- Cats were worshipped by the ancient Egyptians. Killing a cat, even accidentally, incurred the death penalty in ancient Egypt. The owner of a cat that had died would usually shave their eyebrows off. Mummified cats have been found alongside of human mummies in the pyramids of Egypt.
- AstroCat – You may know that dogs have been in space, but did you know that a cat has too? French cat “Felicette” was sent into outer space in 1963. She survived the trip and returned to earth.
- Cat Flap – Sir Isaac Newton is credited with the creation of the cat flap, because his experiments kept being interrupted by his own cat coming through the door.
- Very Important Pussycat – Larry is the 10 Downing Street cat and is Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office. He is a brown and white tabby, believed born in January 2007.
Do you have any cool cat facts? We would love to hear them. Email them to us at Hello@Buddies.co.uk.