Fourteen stunning dogs and bitches from the seven qualifier groups took centre stage on Sunday 4th February at historic Thrumpton Hall for the crowning of the first Buddies Yearling of the Year.
Our honorary judge for the day was Tony Allcock MBE, who was assisted by the highly efficient Chief steward Nick Gourley and truly wonderful commentator by Di Johnson.
Judge Tony initially selected a shortlist of seven –
- Pomeranian – Lireva’s Tarquin Fly The Bear, pet name Tarquin.
- Bedlington Terrier, – Jetsway Absolut Ice At Tangris, pet name Ice.
- Wire Fox Terrier – Travella The Super Trooper, pet name Spike.
- Deerhound – Hyndsight Mandolin Wind, pet name Mandy
- Bullmastiff – Sundabish Mr Majeika, pet name Noah.
- Bouvier des Flandes – BouvPilot Memphis Belle, pet name Memphis.
- Miniature Poodle – Calmaric One for The Money, pet name Nancy.
He then made a final cut to four The Bedlington, Deerhound, Bullmastiff and Wire Fox.
In a new turn of events and one that is soon to be adopted by the UK, the runner up was first to be announced the Wire Foxterrier Ch. Travella The Super Trooper, expertly handled by Mr Richard Allen, the team walked away with a prize of £250.
The Buddies Yearling of the Year was then awarded to the Bullmastiff CH.Sundabish Mr Majeika and a somewhat speechless Daniel Bown, he was, however over the moon to be receiving £500 and a commission by the highly rated artist Jo Van Kampen.
‘This was certainly a day to remember and thanks to all exhibitors for bringing their beautiful dogs. Special thanks must be recorded to generous sponsors, Buddies Insurance.’, Says Judge Tony Allcock MBE.
A final award was then announced in a fun new concept, the audience choice. This went to Neil & Angie Allan, Australian Shepherd Dog – Allmark Vanity Fayre JW, pet name Vogue, who was beautifully handled by Robyn Arnall.
A fantastic day was had by all and we want to thank everyone involved. The buddies team look forward to the upcoming qualifiers and the next Buddies Yearling of the Year Final.